I have been writing and drawing now for a long time with a limited audience, always operating under the belief that I need not share my work with others in order to enjoy it. The audience was not the point of the work, but rather self-expression. I have come to suspect though that self-expression without an audience is a shouting at the wind sort of exercise, and I would be lying if I did not admit I crave some feedback. The result is here. My attempt to use the wonders of this modern age to showcase some of what I have been doing to keep my hands and brain busy for the last 35 years... I hope someone enjoys viewing it as much as I enjoyed making it.

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Niagara Falls

I wander the busy midnight streets

Of a tourist town,

Passing by the crowded trinket shops

Filled with bright plastic people

And fast flowing cash.

I watch teenagers yell and speed by

In their parent’s expensive cars

Feeling self importance and power

Like a drug

Which deflates with age.

Cheap hookers flaunt goods which

Only cross-eyed drunks find impressive,

While they stare with empty eyes

At the dismal neon coating of their lives.

I wonder where in all the bright lights

And slanting signs

Is the Grandeur of Darwin,

As I listen to the drunks and stoners

Giving voice

To the last thoughts of a dying brain cell.

I pass a church which is more neon than holy

Offering wedded bliss for fifty dollars

And wonder when a bastion of morality

Became just one more curiosity on a tour.

A person could get lost in a place such as this

While holding a five dollar site map

And staring at a familiar street sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment